Hazard warning lights

Post here if you have a question regarding the maintenance or servicing of your MT Tracer.
nmac68
Prospect
Prospect

Hazard warning lights

Postby nmac68 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Hi all,

Buying a 65 plate Tracer all the usual checks were conducted on receipt before Xmas. However during a routine check I noticed that the hazard warning lights did not work when the engine was running - but do work in the "park" and "on" positions (no engine running). Is this normal? I only as it's still under warranty and if defective will need to be sorted.

Grateful for all feedback.

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Hazard warning lights

Postby SkyRider » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:36 am

Hazard lights should work when engine is on and I'm confident about it. At least it's the case for the UK. Get it checked out by Yamaha and they'll sort it out.

nmac68
Prospect
Prospect

Postby nmac68 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:20 am

Forgot to mention it was a UK registered bike - and my thoughts exactly. Time to ring the local dealer and book in for a check up and see how good the Yamaha warranty is??

Many thanks for the reply.

Stripy
Road Captain
Road Captain

Postby Stripy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:23 am

Have you got the LED blinkers on?
If all 4 ballasts are installed, the hazard won't work.
Solution: Remove the two ballasts under the pillion seat, and you'll be good to go again. Hopefully without the need of ever using them ;)
3 is a lucky number
/// Stripy~

nmac68
Prospect
Prospect

Postby nmac68 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Previous owner replaced the indicators with Yamaha LED items - I'll have a look at the ballast resistors mentioned by Stripy and let you know the outcome....although I can't understand why the hazards don't work with the engine running but are OK with the key in the park and on positions?

Stripy
Road Captain
Road Captain

Postby Stripy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 pm

When engine is not running, the voltage is just above 12V.
When engine is running it would be up to 14.4V, and there for able to carry a higher load on the relay - which it can' handle.
A bit bad engineering from Yamaha
3 is a lucky number
/// Stripy~

nmac68
Prospect
Prospect

Postby nmac68 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Following advice from Stripy (many thanks for the pointer and explanation) , the ballast resistors have been removed from the rear indicators and now function as they should regardless of engine running or not.

I found that removing just one ballast resistor did the trick, however I removed both for peace of mind and to save any additional loading on the flasher relay. The resistors fitted to the front indicators are obviously man enough for both ends.

Looks like I'm going to have to get used to the Yamaha engineering way over the coming years!! Just for information, the LED replacements were genuine Yamaha accessories and I assume the same could possibly happen with other after market LED indicators - worth checking out if you intend on replacing the OEM items.

Return to “Servicing and Maintenance”