More On Tyres

Discuss and share tweaks and mods.
Ourkev

More On Tyres

Postby Ourkev » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:19 am

I read quite a lot about tyres and which are good and which are better. When riders say, i changed from this brand to that brand and i found them so much better, what do they mean 'better' and how do they measure 'better'?. Is it just the inner feeling that a particular brand or blog claims their tyre is better and you have them on your bike?

Would manufacturers like honda or yamaha team with tyre manufacturers and design the most appropriate tyre for their specific models of motorcycle. I would have thought that the research resources available the manufacturers would put them in an excellent position to qualify the best tyres for their motorcycles? What do you think?

kernowjim
Prospect
Prospect

Re: More On Tyres

Postby kernowjim » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:08 pm

I think all modern tyres are excellent and of course when a tyre is brand new, it performs brilliantly. With that in mind, I think this where the 'enthusiasm' for a new tyre comes from - simply going from a worn to a new tyre is a revelation and that's where the recommendations come from. i.e. none of us are tyre experts. It's universally accepted that certain tyres stand out over others, for example for sport touring, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is truly excellent and for out and out sports use, the Pirelli Super Corsa stands out but this doesn't mean all the others are in any way bad. With regards to manufacturers selecting the right tyres for their bikes, yes I think that happens to a degree but bearing in mind that all modern tyres are pretty much brilliant, the overriding choice would be which ones they can secure at the biggest discount.

owle
Prospect
Prospect

Postby owle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am

Have to agree with kernowjim, the difference from tyres in the seventies to now is one of the best advancements in motorcycles in my opinion, i know that in wet weather it's my inbuilt nerviness not the tyre grip that takes over my riding, because of buttock clenching moments from when tyres were not so good.

Prospect
Prospect

Postby 847 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:16 am

I have to agree. In spite of years and years of riding both road and dirt, the abovementioned on-road wet weather/grubby roads clench moments
still are there. I really do think it stems from the days of poxy tyres.

Though why I can skid around cheerily in the dirt, only to skid around in my thunderdacks if my road bike steps out of line is beyond me. Sigh.

Return to “Yamaha MT Tracer Modifications”