Screen Replacement

Discuss and share tweaks and mods.
Blackie
Prospect
Prospect

Screen Replacement

Postby Blackie » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 pm

This is my new screen.
IMHO the standard screen (and handguards for that matter) don't work for me so i decided to do something about it.I did'nt like the GIVI large screen and having to pay for the extra bracket to mount it, so I googled tall screens and came up with this-
Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer Taller Touring screen- up to 2015.
This screen comes in clear and a sort of light smoke,I chose the clear.it measures 555mm long and at its widest point 570 mm, and it has a curve at the top.
I had no idea that this screen would fit but I was so fed up with the buffetting I thought I'll make the bloody thing fit!.
It just so happenes that the two bottom holes on the triumph screen match the bottom holes on the bike,(at least MY bike)so I muddled around and found some bits of metal to make a bracket.(I will make a more solid ,welded bracket later) The triumph screen comes with 4 rubber grommet fittings and little steel tube inserts.I used longer hex head fastening bolts with nuts on the back.
So How is it?.
Because its mounted on the original windcreen slider brackets, you can move it up and down like the original.At its lowest position there is about an eighth of an inch clearing between the bottom of the screen and the front fairings.I went for a ride and instant inprovement, but, still a bit of turbulance,so i went back home and lifted the screen to its max,and went back out.WOW what a difference, this will do me,slight wind at the top of my helmet but what an improvement.Now does it hit the hand guards? On the OEM hand guards I dont even think the screen will fit (I took mine off weeks ago so i can't really say).
With the handguards I have fitted on full lock the screen does touch- barely,but I think packing the screen out a bit will cure that.How much did it cost? £70!.
Attachments
screen info.jpg
screen info.jpg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 749 times
Triumph Screen side veiw.jpg
Triumph Screen side veiw.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 749 times
Braccket.jpg
Braccket.jpg (950.19 KiB) Viewed 749 times
After.jpg
After.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 749 times
Original Before.jpg
Original Before.jpg (970.51 KiB) Viewed 749 times

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Screen Replacement

Postby SkyRider » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:19 am

This has got to be the first in the world to mount a tiger screen onto a Tracer. I wouldn't have thought about it but to only search for Tracer screen online.

I'm glad it works for you and hopefully someone else reading this will be inspired as the stock screen is a bit of rubbish design.

I've tried two other screens and settled on the Givi D2122S smokey one and very happy with it. Paid £70 or thereabouts last year but just seen on for under £60.

http://emlineamoto.com/en/d2122s.html?p ... e-Shopping

nmac68
Prospect
Prospect

Postby nmac68 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Has anyone tried other types/sizes of screen? A quick search of various auction sites will provide a wealth of different screens, from double bubble to tall/short variants.

Like others, the OEM screen is pants so I replaced with the Powerbronze touring screen. No matter which setting I have it at, the turbulence and wind noise is far greater than my previous ZX7R with a much smaller screen!

I'm just shy of 6 foot tall and have the seat height set to high - any help would be greatly appreciated, as buying a number of screens could turn out to be a bit of an expensive option.

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SkyRider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Very expensive option indeed. I'm considering a very short sport screen to reduce turbulence and noise. I rode the bike without a screen for a while and found it quieter.

nmac68
Prospect
Prospect

Postby nmac68 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Hadn't thought of the "remove screen" option - interesting you found it quieter though! Probably suggests that the original/touring screen options aren't that effective in eliminating turbulence/wind noise?

Would be interested to hear if others have gone down the "sports" screen route and their experience, good or bad.

bluerob
Road Captain
Road Captain

Postby bluerob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 am

I've got the MRA sport screen, it really does do the job. I can sit bolt upright at high speed and not get any buffeting or extra wind noise.

I tried the standard screen on a test ride and hated it. Tried a higher screen and hated it even more.

Return to “Yamaha MT Tracer Modifications”