Artic Tracer

Share pics and videos of your Yamaha MT Tracer.
XxMKxX
Prospect
Prospect

Artic Tracer

Postby XxMKxX » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:57 am

Well, 'ello then!
Thought I'd post up a few pictures and perhaps tell a few stories here on this little forum of ours, as a small effort to contribute to the Tracer community. :)

As the thread name suggests, my specimen of the mighty MT-09 Tracer lives above the artic circle, something that'll explain why I'm sitting on my computer these days as opposed to actually get to ride the thing....
Winter is not a pleasant thing for a biker - if I'm allowed to call myself that, not feeling nearly old enough... :lol:

My little love story with the bike began when the first images of the then brand new model started to emerge, long before I even had a drivers license allowing me to operate such a piece of machinery ( well, a few months prior, and I've had the 125-license since '05 so I'm not entirely new to the bike world ) and the Tracer talked to me in ways few other bikes managed to.
Now granted, I was fairly interested in the BMW F700GS but it proved to be too darn expensive and the Yamaha XSR700 just didn't strike me as the all-rounder I wanted - and having later tested the stock MT-07 I'm very happy I stuck to the triple 850-family because the smaller 700's sounds and feels like a lawn-mower tractor.

Having had a drivers license for only two seasons and owned the Tracer for only one of them gives me a disadvantage compared to more experienced drivers in regards of assessing the all-round usability of the bike, but as I gain experience I'm learning to know the bike and it's characteristics and can safely say that it's almost what it attempts to be - the perfect all-rounder. The things that drags it down is all the little things like the stock seat, screen, no cruise control, plushy brakes, ground clearance, cheap material feel and body panel gaps.
On the positive side of things is equipment like the instrument cluster, the full-LED easily adjustable headlights, stock centre stand, painted rims, the feel of the switchgear and by no small means - the overall look of the thing.
It puts BMW, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and most other manufacturers to shame in the mid-size-affordable-sporty-tourer-class.

Now that anyone interesed knows a little bit about the driver and his point of view, it's time for a few pictures of the star of the show, the Artic Tracer herself.

First off, a picture from the showroom floor and a couple from the day I picked her up

And then a little "oh-f***-me-the-thing-was-stock"-memory

It really didn't take long for me to start doing smaller mods to her, like cleaning out some plastic walls underneath the pillion seat to make room for the necessities - sorry for the helping hand :lol:

Had to make myself a little side stand plate, I couldn't even park in the driveway where I live without it.... Took me 2 hours to make, is still on the bike and has never let me down.

The next thing to get done was a little ferry parking brake, one could say that ferries is a "thing" where I live. And I promise, I have replaced the levers since then.

Here's a few pictures from around the country.

And those roads happened....

A little glacier action.

I of course had to get the Shark Skwal. Good cheap helmet, but would pay more for better build quality. Also have the Schuberth C3, wich is terribly overpriced and not something I'd recommend unless you get a good deal on it.

Who said bikes is impractical? The old merc needed a new battery, and that got done.

Quite a few mods is visible in this photo, starting from the tail is my home made tail tidy and numberplate light, new taillight, small aluminuim rear fender addon, new Puig touring drivers footpegs, heated grips, mirror risers and the Puig touring screen. Even the new levers and the Pyramid Plastics front fender extender is poking through.
Note that I still have the silver plastic pieces on the handlebar protectors, the Puig screen came with new spacers to offset the decorative pieces in order for them to fit with the new screen.

Let's say I've influenced my best buddy regarding the drivers licence, because it's always better when you can share your experiences with your friends.

NSFW: The naked tourer - naked! Undressed it to mount a few decorative pieces and polish the gas tank.

And to finish this post up - definitive proof that is bike is a killer buy!
That seagull was d-e-a-d.
Hit it doing about 80km/h, no damage to the bike what so ever - heard a slight thump noise when it it and it just hanged on there until i slowed down....

Hope this post was of interest to someone :)

Best regards - XxMKxX
Yamaha MT-09 Tracer 2016 - Northern Norway

Stripy
Road Captain
Road Captain

Re: Artic Tracer

Postby Stripy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:54 pm

Oh wauw,
Really admirable to hear from the possible most Northern Tracer and how it loves its life up there.

I still hope, one day, to get to Nordkapp - and with my Tracer, that possibility have certainly come closer now.

Thanks for the inspiration!

//Stripy
3 is a lucky number
/// Stripy~

XxMKxX
Prospect
Prospect

Postby XxMKxX » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Stripy wrote:Oh wauw,
Really admirable to hear from the possible most Northern Tracer and how it loves its life up there.

I still hope, one day, to get to Nordkapp - and with my Tracer, that possibility have certainly come closer now.

Thanks for the inspiration!

//Stripy

Oh there's more of us up here, I'm not nearly the only one :)
Nordkapp is accessible during summer, but you have to plan ahead regarding the weather and don't go too early - nor too late during the fairly short season up there. Been there only once by bus in september of '10, and I doubt you could go there by bike any later - and no earlier than july.
It's a good ride away from where I live though, so I'm no local and could be mistaken - there's some 1130 kilometres from where I reside to Nordkapp.....
Would be a nice ride, but remeber to bring a mosquito headwear of sorts... ;)

ib12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ib12 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:32 pm

How are you finding the replacement screen, there have been a lot of comments about different screens some being better than others. I know rider height will have a lot of bearing on what's the optimum height and size. But would appreciate your thought on the matter.

XxMKxX
Prospect
Prospect

Postby XxMKxX » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:57 pm

ib12 wrote:How are you finding the replacement screen, there have been a lot of comments about different screens some being better than others. I know rider height will have a lot of bearing on what's the optimum height and size. But would appreciate your thought on the matter.

The replacement screen, the Puig Touring Screen, is absolutely purposeful and in a whole different league than the stock one.

I remember back to a 4-13 degrees celcius 7,5hr ride back this spring with constant downpour the entire way, and combined with the tank bag the stock windscreen was next to useless and I had to tuck down ontop of the tankbag to have any kind of protection even on my upper torso. Safe to say, that was not pleasant - the same ride I killed the seagull on as referenced in the original post.

With the new screen I'm nearly fully covered from both wind and rain from my chin down to the tank (I'm 183cm / 6ft tall).
To get full coverage from the screen I'm going to have to get one of those clip-on visors though.
One of my concerns was that alot of forum users claimed that you'd loose the painted "extra bits" on the handlebar protectors, but with my specimen of the screen there was supplied spacers to move the outer bits upwards and outwards so they'll create a gap for the screen to fit in on full steering lock.

Unfortunately that ment the screen could not be adjusted anymore (it needs to stay in top position), to do so you'll still need to remove the painted "extra bits" from the handguards to avoid hitting on full lock.

Be aware that some helmets require a certain amount of airflow to provide visibility even with a pinlock visor - my Schuberth C3 Basic is not happy in damp conditions.

It's worth mentioning that this screen is my favourite thing I've done to the bike, so it's a 10/10 recommendation from me.
But get something small for hot weather if you can - you'll need it. :D

ib12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ib12 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for the feed back. :)

Tim 09
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Tim 09 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:13 pm

Only just seen this , not been on site for a while, stunning photographs, great piece

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SkyRider » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:26 am

Great post and pics. The M25 compare to your roads is a bit shite ;)

XxMKxX
Prospect
Prospect

The obligatory occational "yes I'm alive and active"-post

Postby XxMKxX » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:55 pm

Thought I'd put up a few photos of last weekends little camping trip with a buddy to a MC Camp in a place called Hattfjelldal ( litteraly translates from the three words Hatt Fjell Dal to Hat Mountain Valley :lol: )

Nice place, didn't stay more than one night though, really wanted to rent a tour with the small airplane visible in the ( poor quality ) panorama picture but the forecast said bucketloads of rain so we didn't want to get stuck for 6 hours in downpour on our way back home.

The trip was a bit hasty in all aspects but we figured we'd need some saddle time prior to the FIM Rally in Sundsvall wich is in a few weeks from now, so we just went for it.

My Tracer and my buddy on his MT-09. These two first pictures is taken on a road called 291 on a bridge across the lake Røssvatnet.
The road 291 combined with the road 806 takes you from Hattfjelldal to Korgen in Nordland County, Norway, paralell to the E6, and it's a fantastic bike route.

And one from the camp itself, for good measure :D

Cheers, see ya'll later ;)

XxMKxX
Prospect
Prospect

Postby XxMKxX » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:49 pm

....aaaaand then it seems like photobucket wants 400 dollars a year ( about half the yearly insurance cost of the bike ) to allow me to use photobucket as I've been using it since about 2009....

Will have to do some research, sorry for the useless post.
:evil:

Return to “Yamaha MT Tracer Gallery”