My first bike!...battery charger query...

Share pics and videos of your Yamaha MT Tracer.
Rednic
Prospect
Prospect

My first bike!...battery charger query...

Postby Rednic » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:22 am

Hi
I am a new rider and got my tracer delivered 2 weeks ago... I live in Durham and given cold whether conditions was considering buying a battery charger . The bike came with only 130 miles on the clock ...is it worth buying a charger so soon,if so what would you guys recommend.....finally I was wondering whether the power socket can be used to charge the battery....
Thanks!![url][/url]

Stripy
Road Captain
Road Captain

Re: My first bike!...battery charger query...

Postby Stripy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Nah, unless you are not going to use the bike for the next three months, i wouldn't worry.

However, if you are leaving it for a very long time, you might want to disconnect the battery. If you store the bike in your garage, you should be OK, after my opinion.

And no, you can't charge the battery from the socket.
3 is a lucky number
/// Stripy~

ib12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ib12 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm

I've always used an Optimate for longer none use as it keeps battery topped up. You get a lead and plug to attach to the battery for charging. Also if you do a lot of short journeys the battery doesn't have time to charge properly, especially if you have added some extras, sat nav, heated grips etc.

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SkyRider » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 am

My bike is 18 months old with over 6000 miles. The longest I've left it in garage is 5 weeks and battery seemed ok when starting. All my journeys are at least 50 miles at a time so I think it gets a good charging.

Rednic
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Rednic » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:03 pm

Thanks Skyrider

marky0283
Road Captain
Road Captain

Postby marky0283 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:51 pm

I wouldn't and don't worry about it either. My bike has sat for a couple of weeks through the coldest spells and not had an issue at all yet, starts up just fine :-)
https://www.bikershub.co.uk - UK motorcycle blog, events and directory

Rednic
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Rednic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 pm

marky0283 wrote:I wouldn't and don't worry about it either. My bike has sat for a couple of weeks through the coldest spells and not had an issue at all yet, starts up just fine :-)

Thanks !

Rednic
Prospect
Prospect

Postby Rednic » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:37 pm

Followed your lead Ib - got an Optimate 4 - probably superfluous right now but will pay in the longer term ;)

ib12 wrote:I've always used an Optimate for longer none use as it keeps battery topped up. You get a lead and plug to attach to the battery for charging. Also if you do a lot of short journeys the battery doesn't have time to charge properly, especially if you have added some extras, sat nav, heated grips etc.

Return to “Yamaha MT Tracer Gallery”