new member fae scotland

Welcome new Motrider members, introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.
bobo

new member fae scotland

Postby bobo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi...
just thought id introduce myself to you guys.

After a lot of research and test rides of various bikes i finally bought a 2016 Tracer 9...silver with blue forks and wheels ,5k miles on it

Ive just sold my versys 650 ...it was an awsome bike which i fully customised for my needs .

After doing 1000 miles over 3 days around the NC500 up here i decided the versys just lacked something...great fun but needed more power and protection etc...

Thats when my research began.

I kept seeing bmw gs 1200s and thought i need to see what these are about.

I didnt want to get into the GS thing but after i had a long test drive on one,i GOT IT...These bikes are truly awsome....comfy, powerful enough and all the tech....basically every box ticked....BUT far too expensive in my opinion....so the search went on...

I tried the Honda Africa Twin,Triumph tiger 800,Triumph explorer,Triumph tiger Sport,Suzuki v strom 1000,Ktm SMT,Kawasaki Versys 1000....
Didnt try Ducati as it was going to be too expensive.

Was almost tempted to buy a 13 plate gs but was still going to be £10k for a 4 year old bike.....

So the tracer ticked more boxes than much of the above and it was great value for money....

I knew the little issues that id heard about on forums and reviews etc could be resolved easily..

So thats where i am now....

Done about 600 miles in the past 2 weekends and im loving it....

A few mods to be done for my taste but all in all great bike

So aye sorry to rant on a bit but thats me haha

cheers

Bobo

DTNZ64
Veteran
Veteran

Re: new member fae scotland

Postby DTNZ64 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 am

Hi, welcome aboard Bobo. I made up a list of requirements before buying the Tracer. For me it also ticked the most boxes of the bikes that I had tried. The only things I didn't like: chain drive, not a single or V-twin (i.e Guzzi) but everything else fitted. I just need to change the handlebars to suit & it'll be fine. I like the way it handles & runs, miss the V-twin sound, but man it sounds good when it's in A for Angry! It's grown on me.
Enjoy!

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SkyRider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:17 am

Welcome Bobo

I went through the same process in 2015 with the research and decided the Tracer was ideal for my needs. I did more test rides after I got the Tracer for a year thinking I may fancy something else. However nothing yet has convinced me I need another bike.

dt100rd200lctdrmt09
Prospect
Prospect

Postby dt100rd200lctdrmt09 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:26 am

Hi bobo and welcome to this very quiet forum, but I'm happy to say hello and welcome you and wish you many happy safe miles.
I would suggest it's quiet on here because you and I have brought a machine that as no issues, you mention the BMW GS which I completed 30K miles on sohc / dohc and water cooled. The forum ukgser is not at all quiet it is full of disgruntled owners complaining about many problems. I think that you have dodged a bullet by avoiding GS especially the water cooled model. If you carry a passenger bmw suspension is fantastic especially the front end when your used to it. But most of the bikes you mention I would suggest are much more FUN then the Beemer.
I too part ex'd a versys 650 for my Tracer and like you I completed the nc 500 on it, sadly a parallel twin be it a cd175/ versys or xtz 1200 is never going to be FUN.
The MT 09 is too much FUN I got done for speeding in the first ten miles!
Enjoy your new bike matey.

DTNZ64
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DTNZ64 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 am

dt100rd200lctdrmt09 wrote:The MT 09 is too much FUN I got done for speeding in the first ten miles!

Well wouldn't that tear your underwear! :lol:

SkyRider
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SkyRider » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Oops sorry to hear someone got a speeding ticket.

dt100rd200lctdrmt09
Prospect
Prospect

Postby dt100rd200lctdrmt09 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:41 pm

SkyRider wrote:Oops sorry to hear someone got a speeding ticket.

I got off the hook and beat it this time, but lesson learnt... how did a speed camera van catch a bike with no front number plate?

Greenman14
Patched Member
Patched Member

Postby Greenman14 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:07 pm

I traded in a GS for the Tracer and don’t regret it. The GS is a great bike but “fun”is not the word I’d use to describe it. Unlike the KTM I traded in for the GS. I think the Tracer is a great compromise between the GS and the KTM, and that’s quite a compliment.

Return to “Welcome - New Members Introduction”